Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Yarn, Old Obsession

12 days into the new year, and my resolution to not purchase any yarn still holds. Although, truth be told, it has not been easy. At. All. Especially when I see yarn on sale.

One thing that has helped some was that I received a shipment of yarn (it was ordered on December 31, before my resolution began -- haha, so there!). Nothing like opening a box of yarn-y goodness to make your day:


Red Heart Soft Yarn in Lilac, Pink, Lavender, Guacamole and Honey (clockwise from top left):


 I also bought 3 skeins of a multi-colored shade called Plummy:


I originally thought I would make a blanket of African flower hexagons with this new yarn for my great-niece, but now I'm not sure. I love the hexagonal flowers; in fact, it is an obsession of mine. Proof of my obsession:


There are more than 100 motifs here. And they are all different! Which I guess speaks to my hoarding of cotton yarn as well as my obsession with African flower hexagons. Each hexagon begins with white yarn. For Rounds 2 and 3, I used an ombre (remember, they are all different), and Round 4 ends with a coordinating solid color. My plan is to complete Round 5 in white and then join all the hexagons into one mega-awesome, colorful, one-of-a-kind blanket!


So in the meantime, I am putting my obsession aside and I need to decide how to use my order of girly-girl yarn. Maybe stripes? Or maybe the obsession will continue. I still have some time to decide.

I also adore this sweater:
 
It was published in the January/February 2009 issue of Crochet Today. The little moose applique is so darling! I just checked the pattern, and I am pretty sure I will need to order the yarn to complete this because I don't usually buy baby-weight yarn. And the yarn that was used in the sample is discontinued. I guess this means that when I finally do break my resolution, at least it will be for a good cause!

No comments: